Women's Day ● We Are Strong!


Hello Beautiful World!
I am running behind by one day for this post but I didn't want to let this annual celebration
of International Women's Day pass by without giving it some recognition. 
It is the celebration of women's rights that focuses on issues such as reproductive rights,
gender equality, economic and political women's achievements, and very importantly,
violence and abuse against women. It is estimated that 1 in 4 women have experienced some type
of abuse, physical or mental, during their lifetime.
Today I will be sharing with you part of something that I wrote about 13 years ago...



Breaking Free!
A few years ago I was imprisoned in a controlling relationship 
where most of the decisions concerning my life were made for me, even the smallest ones.
 I was told when I was allowed to get close to him and to what extent 
to later be pushed away as if I was disposable. This was a pattern that kept 
repeating itself over and over for an extended period of time. 
Friends were chosen for me by him and the ones that I had personally chosen
were being unfairly judged and ridiculed just for the mere fact
that they didn't fit his standards.

He would label me as an unstable woman anytime I would try to stand up to him.
 He then would proceed to verbally abuse me, bringing my self-esteem 
all the way down to the ground. Sadly, I allowed his words to have so much power 
over me to the point that I started doubting my sanity and consequentially
I would find myself feeling ashamed of my existence. His verbal and mental abuse
 towards me always disguised as a loving concern for my well-being, 
blinded me and I believe that this person genuinely cared and he became my everything.
I placed all my love and trust in him and simply chose to close my eyes 
not realizing that I was sleeping with the enemy.
I felt ashamed and guilty for allowing this to happen. The love and admiration I felt 
for him blinded me to see that an escape from this unhealthy relationship was possible.


Once I found the strength to escape the relationship,
I had to learn to survive on my own and after many tears shed and a broken heart, 
I started becoming strong. Away from him and with time, I discovered my great potential to
exceed in life, something I couldn't see before due to the controlling fist he kept me under.
It was as if the unstable, insignificant, and worthless Lori perished during the escape,
and a new strong, and determined Lori was born.

Now, that I am able to exhale freely and walk in life without having to be led by his
controlling authority, I have become adventurous and a risk-taker. 
I am not afraid to speak up and demand respect if I feel I am being treated poorly.
I set rules for myself and for those who dare try to cross the line with me,
I can be brutally blunt if necessary and I will definitely not allow anyone to pressure 
me into something I don't want. I choose who I want to be with but especially 
how much I am willing to give of myself to each person in my life...


We are strong!

Much love,
Lori Novo

No comments:

Post a Comment