Living Second Life


Do I believe in love?
Of course, I do but only in real life... 
love in Second Life seems more like a fantasy to me.

I am amazed at how everywhere I go in SL many people are always looking either 
for love or to have intimate relationships. It is so frustrating how I get asked 
at least once every day if I am interested in having sex. They gotta be kidding me!!! 
Having meaningless sex with someone I don't know is not the reason I am 
in Second Life. For me sex is not just the act... its the emotion... 
the love and respect between two people.

When it comes to love in Second Life, I find it comical how some people 
actually believe they have fallen in love after the second day 
or even a week after they met the person. Love requires more than a few hours
or days for it to bloom. Do I believe in love at first sight? NOPE!!! :P 
I DO believe in attraction at first sight, though. But mere attraction doesn't equal love.

In order to find genuine love in Second Life 
you must have to get to know the person, and by this, I mean the REAL person
behind the Avi. But then again how can you be 100% certain that the person 
you are falling in love with is really who they claim to be. 
For all you know you might be declaring your undying love to an 80-year-old 
thinking it's a 21-year-old.  Another scary scenario might be even declaring your 
undying love to someone of your same-sex thinking you have found the ideal love, 
of course, this only applies to you if you are 100% straight.


Some people log in every day in search of something that they might be lacking 
in real life. Notice how I said some people, not everyone :P 
They are trying to fill the void in their life with a fantasy fulfillment. 
Many times they are trying to find the perfect boyfriend/girlfriend in a fantasy world. 

Second Life is a fantasy world where everything goes, as one of my friends said. 
Still, there are those of us who choose to live our Second Life almost in the same way 
as our real lives. We set boundaries, rules, and limitations. We don't fall into the
everything goes... and it's OK style. Self-respect and respect for others shouldn't 
come to a halt once we log in. We choose to live our SL in a positive and prosperous
way and our search is for the beauty of this Second Life world and the many 
talents most residents have. Many residents actually come to Second Life 
to conduct real-life businesses. We learn from each other and help each other 
and in the process, we create beautiful friendships.

I do understand though that Second Life was created to be lived however you choose to, 
it is our right. We can live it as crazy or as sane as we choose to. It is just a little,
ok a lot upsetting to me that a lot of people right away assume that we are all here
 for the same reason they are, either to find love or just to have meaningless sex. For some
of us SL gives us the opportunity to be creative, and that's the only reason I am here for. <3

No comments:

Post a Comment