Long Past Memory

PHOTO BY LORI NOVO
Written by Adeen Moonites

Walking through a small outcrop of grass and reeds
running water, animals prancing,  hoping,  running, walking
 as I step on the edge to see and hear them a few scurry about
 from across the reeds and grass
 I hear a familiar call that sends me back to my youth . . .
 WHIPP OOR WILL WHIPP OOR WILL WHIPP OOR WILL
I hear the call of a whippoorwill bird
 such a sweet call that calls to her babies
telling them that she is on her way to serve breakfast to them
I walk out to the table under the tree and sit
so I may see her babies as she flys to them
WHIPP OOR WILL WHIPP OOR WILL WHIPP OOR WILL
she settles on a bough and hops to her nest
babies with mouths wide open and chirping loudly
 she feeds them with such grace and swiftness
from one baby to another then back to each baby again .
she hops out of the nest and fly away again to find food for her babies
I sit for awhile watching her fly back and forth to her babies.
as the day passed and evening come upon us all
 I walk out to sit in my favorite spot under the tree
looking up to see the children chirping loudly continuously
 next I hear the familiar sound of mama telling her babies she is returning
WHIPP OOR WILL WHIPP OOR WILL WHIPP OOR WILL .
I notice the grass move a bit and mama is attacking the hidden creature screaming
WHIPP OOR WILL WHIPP OOR WILL WHIPP OOR WILL
WHIPP OOR WILL WHIPP OOR WILL WHIPP OOR WILL .
claws drawn and slashing at the slither type creature
darting up and down side to side slashing at the slither
the slither twists and weaves and slithers across the grass to make its way to the tree
the grace of her flight fight, gliding on the air up and down, side to side
the slither reaches the trunk of the tree and begins to slither upward towards his evening meal
 mother takes her fight to the heights of her full strength
driving and slashing
total concentration on her task of getting the attention of the slither
I see her fly high and come down with all the speed her wings can
claws outstretched as wide as they can go
full speed and the wind helping her with a breeze that blows in the right direction
she hits her mark on the slither and it swings around and falls to the ground and slithers off
babies chirping loudly momma hops back to the nest to feed her babies .
with full bellies and snuggles in with babies as the sun hides below the horizon for the night.