I Must Save Them All!

I stand motionless and lifeless outside my grandma's one-room home door. 
It seems as if the world has closed up on me and it's getting hard to breath.
If I open my arms wide, I bet I can almost touch the edge of the world on both sides, 
that is how tight it feels to me. What was before an "OK" blue sky, has started to turn into an 
unnerving grayish, and the eerie sound above the clouds, once again, returns as if it finds pleasure
tormenting my ears.

The wind starts to pick up, creating clouds of dust all around me, making it hard for me to see.
 In the distance, I can hear the rain rapidly approaching me like a stampede of rabid horses creating a
thunderous sound with every gallop. They are coming my way too fast.
 I can hear every single raindrop hitting the ground making the world, my world, tremble. 
I am terrified ... and I feel lifeless.

I turn to look over my left shoulder where my grandma's bird cages are lined up on the wall outside
suspended by rusted nails. The birds seem lifeless like me. Still, I can sense their fear 
with every blink of their eyes. Their fears add to mine, combining it, feeding it, making it bigger. 
I NEED TO SAVE THEM!

Now the monstrous rain has almost reached me. I fear that every raindrop has the power to destroy
everything it hits. The sound ... OH that sound is becoming too intense for me to bear.

I must hurry and save my grandma's birds!!!

I forget about my anguish and gather the strength to save the birds. There is no time to waste 
thinking about myself. I don't matter, I feel as if I am already just a living "dead" soul. 
The birds need me, and now that is my only goal, to save them.

I start reaching for the cages and I am glad to see that I can carry more than one at a time. 
There is not much time! I take them inside the house three or four at a time. 
I don't set them on the floor carefully, I just toss them as fast as I can in the middle of the room 
and run back outside to get more.

There are just so many and I start feeling frustrated. It seems that with every two I save, 
four new ones appear on the wall making it an endless task. Still, I must save them all and I keep
running back and forth creating a mountain of bird cages inside the house. 
I hear now the birds chirping as if in a scream...  "Hurry, hurry, the rain is almost here!"
 seems to be what they are saying.

I run outside and noticed that the grayish sky has turned now into a deadly black color.
 The rain now seems to be just a block away. And then, I somehow know that my death is near,
 so near that I can almost taste it and I feel sad but I am too tired to cry.

I look back to the wall to see the bird cages that I still need to take inside the house before I die. 
The wall is empty, I have somehow managed to take them all inside before the rain reaches us.
 I close my eyes and thank God for giving me the strength to save all of my grandma's birds.

The rain now has reached me. It hits my body, bruising it and the strong wind seems to want to take 
me away. However, before going to my death, I want to take a last look at my grandma's birds 
so I walk to the door and open it. I stand at the door and I see them calm, feeling safe inside the house
and I smile. Suddenly the walls start to shake and I start to wonder what is happening. 
I see with terror that the walls have become like rags moving violently with the wind. 
The cry of the frightened birds has become unbearable, they are terrified just like I am. 
The walls now can't protect them anymore, and then I see how the deadly wind reaches one by one 
of my grandma's bird cages taking them away...
and then I wake up!

This is what I dreamed of last night. I usually don't dream but when I do, my dreams are very intense 
and I can remember them very well the next morning. My grandma's bird cages are something that
appears in my dreams often. I am always trying to save the birds for some reason and eerie sounds
and darkness also seem to be present 

What do you dream about?

No comments:

Post a Comment